Wally Wanderlust

My Summer in Costa Rica - J. Todd Walters

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Quick Update

Wanted to drop a quick line, cause I haven't written, since that manifesto about the weekend in Domincal. My first project in the Habitat office - Construction Site Saftey has produced a few differnt completed pieces of work at this point. The first is a 30 slide powerpoint presentation, which will eventually be linked to all the Central American and Carribbean Habitat volunteer websites the Habitat volunteer website. It is in english, and includes a lot of the photographs I have taken at the different build sites around the country. The slides are grouped under the main safety issues, use photos to highlight examples, and recommend different precautions that can be taken by volunteers to avoid potential injuries, as well as outline what to do should certain common injuries occur. The second piece, which I completed the draft of today is a pocket card that can be carried by the Construction site formen - one side in spanish and the other in english...that provides an outline of an orientation that the formen should provide to all new volunteers their first day on the construction site before they begin work. The final aspect, I will be working on with an Italian volunteer named Giovanni, who is a graphic designer. It will be a bi-lingual poster, that is waterproof, which can be hung up on the equipment storage area at every job site, which highlights with photographs and text some of the safety hazards to be aware of.

I will begin my second project next week, when I am working on a waste management analysis for materials used in the construction process.

Other then that - I attended a Habitat office religious meeting yesterday, where people sang church songs, read passages from the bible and discussed the connection between Habitat and the work that we all do, and God. While I am not a religious person, I am a spiritual person, and this meeting made me feel like part of a community, accepted.

I play soccer again tonight with the group of guys from the office, and will head to the beach at Manuel Antonio tomorrow night after work with a group of girls and guys for the weekend.

Finally - I gotta say I am stoked about the Celtics Draft - I think Danny Ainge did a great job snagging Gerald Green and Ryan Gomes...and now he's ripe for a trade...I just hope it isn't Paul Pierce.

SKYPE.com I got me an account under the user name Sweetwally, and I can make free long distance phone calls to anyone else with a skype account - computer to computer through the VoIP network. SO if you wanna give me a buzz I work 8-5 down here, and I am 2 hours behind East Coast time. Keep smiling. Peace...Paz (en Espanol)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home